Wednesday 3 December 2014

Streamlining

Over time, the live-action games that I run seem to be getting shorter and shorter.

LA Confidential lasted for five sessions, as intended.  Upwick Manor hadf a three-episode length.  Now I have a plan for a game - The Last Day of Babylon - that is only two sessions long.

Perhaps the end point is that I will start writing one-shots.  Or will I end up with games that are shorter than that, if even possible?

In a way, planning LARPs seems a little like designing a training package for work.  The more practice I get delivering it, the more streamlined the product becomes.

I think that this is the result of developing as a planner for LARPs.  A lot of storytellers in both live-action and tabletop have had games that run down to a close without reaching a proper finale, myself included.  Past experience suggests to me that wrapping up is better than fading away.  Also - since friends and acquaintances have increasingly busy lives - a game with a fixed finale seems a far less daunting commitment than one with no clear end-point.

No comments:

Post a Comment